
This week went by in the blink of an eye quite possibly because our team (Team Jing) was feverishly working to complete the webinar proposal and associated script and PowerPoint presentation. We had an opportunity, at the beginning of the week, to experiment with Connect through a synchronous meeting that went very well. We'll certainly need to meet this way a few more times to become proficient, at least proficient enough, to use Connect successfully in less than a month for our webinar.
The highlight of the week was reading the first few chapters in the Williams book, The Non-Designer's Design Book. I've read through two of her four essential principles, Proximity and Alignment, and was astonished at how simple it is to create organization and visually stimulating content with a few clicks of the mouse. I'm looking forward to reading about Repitition and Contrast in the coming days.
During this week I felt like I really started to find my own style of "active reading" (a combination of highlighting, underlining and making notes in the margin) and it is definitely making a difference in terms of retaining and applying information. My new approach to reading applies not only to the texts/online readings for this course, but also reading other material for work and pleasure. Thanks to those who made suggestions and provided concrete examples of their own active reading styles.
Finally, on a personal note, it was another great week in Northern California with my family.
Our son Parker started smiling...check out the pic above.
Cam has been smiling for awhile now... he's below with his self-styled "mohawk".
2 comments:
Kirk!
I hope you are enjoying the week break. I see the Giants did quite well this past Sunday...=)
Parker looks so sweet in his picture!
Just wanted to say hello! Talk to you soon,
Elyse
Kirk, I am glad you are enjoying Williams. She has several other books and they are all an easy read and very useful, IMHO.
Post a Comment